Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Too good to be true....

I'll admit it. I use to be afraid of horses. I had never been around them up until a few weeks ago. Since then I've conquered my fear and haven't looked back. I have my girlfriend to thank for this.

Horses are my new favorite animal. They're like a mix between a cat, a dog, and a car. They have lots of personality like a dog and they have the independence of a cat, only you can use them for transportation like a car. Sitting on top of my girlfriend's horse felt like riding on the top of a car. It's quite exhilarating and unique in that it gives you a different perspective on your surroundings.

Another thing I enjoy about horses and being around them is the immense feeling of serenity I feel when I'm out at the horse farm. I feel like I'm a million miles away from all my troubles and worries. I feel grounded. It's the only time I actually enjoy labor; sweeping the floor, grooming, and doing a terrible job of stall cleaning. I appreciate my girlfriend so much more for sharing these things with me.

She also introduced me to NPR. I've always heard people talk about it, so it wasn't anything new. But I've never listened to it until she talked about how she use to listen to it all the time. I found myself sitting in the car 15 minutes after I had shut the engine off. I didn't want to get out! They were talking about all the new immigration laws and middle east stuff. Things I never dreamed I'd be interested in. But there I was.

Though I am a little perturbed. NPR is running some sort of pledge drive right now so a lot of the programming is interrupted with people asking me to pledge 40, 80, or 100 dollars. Like I have that kind of money! I mean, I like the programming and I'd like to support it, but I'm a poor college kid. Oh well.

You're narcoleptic?
Yeah.
Wow, that's cool!
I guess so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not a commenter, I am!

When you have to stay in the car to hear the end, it's a "driveway moment." I am so jealous that you get to listen; I guess I should put a new radio in my car so I can join you in NPR bliss.

Hooray for inspiring you!

- The Q